Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Why "Camp Girl"

Showing off my "guns".
 I chose this picture because I'm wearing my staff sweater in it, excuse the silly face.

I have started this post so many times. I thought it would be simple, you know, telling about the place you love the most. However I have found that this proved to be an extremely difficult task. Where do I start? How do I sum up my camp experiences in a meaningful way without rambling on for pages and pages. I have decided that today I will sit down and fully write this post. I am super excited about it. Here it goes.

I chose the title "Camp Girl in the Real World" mainly because of my experience at camp. Camp is a place where you can be silly, and act like a kid, no matter what your age. At camp, you get to be around other Christians who genuinely care about you. The friendships you make at summer camp are so special. Something about working together in an environment without cellphones, facebook, or video games makes you grow so much closer to the people around you.

I have been going to Camp Cherith for 11 years. First as a camper, then as a staff in training and then as staff. I remember I first wanted to go because of the horses. I came back for 6 years because of the activities and the fun staff.  In my last year as a camper my cabin leader encouraged me to take the Camper In Leadership Training program (CILT). So I did. Camp Cherith has an amazing training program. During the course of 5 weeks at camp, 6 at-home bible studies and 1 week internship I learned so much about myself, my relationship with God and how to lead a cabin. I made amazing friends.

CILT was when my relationship with God got real. I started reading my bible more, I prayed more. I understood why it was important. I am so glad I went through the program. CILT was when I made my faith my own. I wanted to go to church; I didn't feel like my parents were forcing me anymore. 

When I became staff I made so many more friends, I loved helping in the kitchen, being a cabin leader and teaching activities. Camp taught me how to be a really great leader. I loved being able to sing silly songs, play fun games and teach my campers more about Jesus. It was challenging, some of my cabins were really difficult. But looking back on it I realize how much I learned from those difficulties.

I haven't been able to work at camp over the summer the past two years, but I have helped out on weekends. And I write letters to my friends who are up at camp. I love camp so much, it completely changed my life. Being in the "real world" is difficult, it's so easy to be a Christian at camp. I remember the fall after my first summer as staff was so difficult. I hated being away from camp. It was all I thought about but then I realized; the real world isn't bad at all. I've made friends at school and university who are just as awesome as the people at camp. I go to church and learn about God. The real world will never be the same as camp, but I have realized that it isn't terrible.

So that’s why the title of this blog is "Camp Girl in the Real World". I love camp. It's probably one of my favourite places to be.

Have you gone to summer camp? What was your experience like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...