Thursday, April 25, 2013

Advice On: Organizing Course Work



Hey Everyone! This week's university advice is on organizing all of your coursework. This includes notes, assignments, and anything else that you have for your classes.

Of course there are many ways to do this; this is just the way that works best for me.

I organize my work in binders. One binder per class. I put a label on each binder with the course code, the class name and the semester in which the class takes place. These binders have dividers in them to organize notes, assignments, readings, tests and any other categories. I keep these binders on my shelf.



I don't usually take any of these binders to class with me; instead I take this binder which temporarily stores my work. 



This binder has extra paper for taking notes along with dividers for each class so I don't get notes mixed up. I sort out the notes once this binder gets full. This works really nicely for me because I don't have to drag around a super heavy backpack with all my binders, textbooks, and laptop. Instead I just take the one binder, the minimum number of textbooks (I try to pick light ones to take with me) and my laptop. I realized quickly that bringing all of my textbooks with me was really heavy and I never ended up getting that much done anyways.

I type some of my notes; it really depends on the class. If I do type my notes I organize them in folders.
For example:

In my documents folder on my computer I have a folder called University of Guelph. Inside that folder I have a folder called First Year. Inside that folder I have a folder for each of my classes. And inside those folders I have folders for notes, assignments, and anything else needed for the course. This is where I save my documents. 

I know it's confusing, but I find it super helpful to separate things into folders. It saves me so much time when I'm trying to find something.

If you are typing your notes make sure you back them up on to another computer. You don't want to lose those notes that you so carefully took!

Anyways, that’s how I organize my course work. I hope it helps you out.
How do you organize your course work?
Leave A Comment!

1 comment:

  1. Taking time in organizing your documents is a good way to keep track of them. Disorganized files may lead to inevitably losing some important records. What I usually do is I schedule a daily routine where I tackle one part of organizing my course work. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Ruby Badcoe @
    Williams Data Management

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...