Monday, May 27, 2013

Advice on: Handwritten Note-Taking



Hey guys! This week's advice is on handwritten note-taking. Three weeks ago I wrote a post about electronic note-taking, so you can think of this as part 2. I take handwritten notes in classes that involve lots of math formulas or diagrams. Some of my classes even put up the slides on their course website. In the case of those classes I print off the notes ahead of time and make notes in the margins. I don't mind taking handwritten notes but they can get really sloppy if I'm trying to write fast. Here are my pros and cons of handwritten notes:

Pros of Handwritten Notes:

-No internet distractions
-Easier to focus
-Easy to draw diagrams

Cons of Handwritten Notes:

-Not very legible if you're writing quickly
-Can miss things if you're a slow writer

Hopefully my pros and cons lists help, here are a few tips I have for taking handwritten notes:

Use different colours

I like using different colours for lines, charts and different terms.

Date and Label things

I put the date on all my pages. Make it a habit. You will be grateful if your binder ever drops on the floor and pops open.

Try to write neatly

I know its tough to keep up with the prof. But try to write neatly, it makes it so much easier when you are studying. If your professor puts the notes up online, write down what he is saying and print off the notes later. You can always go back to the slides and fill in the spots you missed.

Well there you go! hopefully this advice helps! If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...