Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Commuting to Campus


I'm the type of person that researches things and organizes when they get stressed. When I was getting ready for first year university, I searched for advice about living off campus. I found tons of things about living in residence, but almost nothing about commuting to campus. Here is what I've learned this year.

When I accepted my offer to the University of Guelph I knew that I did not want to live in residence unless I absolutely had to. I don't drink and I did not want to deal with all the party stories that I had heard about. That left me with two options:

1) Get an apartment in Guelph and take the bus in to the university

2) Live at home, get a car and commute to campus

I went with option 2.

I chose to get a car because it allowed me a little more freedom. I can go wherever I wish without having to worry about bus schedules. Living at home is great; I get food, love and support from my family. However, it does come with its challenges.  As my first year of university comes to an end I would like to share with you some of my tips about commuting to university.

1) Develop a routine.

I've found that I really have to get into a weekly routine. I do laundry on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I do my weekly readings on the same day every week, for example. I try my best to leave for university at around the same time most days. Develop a routine, it helps you stay organized.

2) Find a place to go during breaks between classes

I go to the computer science lab. There is almost always a spot to sit, unlike in the library. Having a place to go between classes prevents me from wandering around the library and allows me to use my time wisely during the break.

3) Find something you like to listen to while you drive

I listen to talk radio. I find it really interesting. It takes my mind off the 45 minute commute. I also listen to the radio. Sometimes my commutes turn into a karaoke party for 1. Having something, a favourite CD, talk radio, music radio, audio book or whatever you feel is fitting.

4) Keep your vehicle (relatively) clean

It drives me crazy when my car has a lot of garbage in it. I have a small garbage bag which I made, that holds small things and I try to empty out my car when I get home.

This is my garbage bin I made, pretty small but it keeps my car from getting cluttered. Plus it's cute.

5) Find a group and try to get involved

I know it's really difficult to live off campus. It can be extremely lonely. I went to Intervarsity Christian Fellowship (IVCF) during my first few weeks of university and that made all the difference. I made two amazing friends who I can eat lunch with now. With my schedule I haven't been able to go to bible study, but it is so helpful to have a support group and to know that you're not alone. I know it's difficult, but try to find some friends. It makes all the difference.

6) Leave enough time!

Try your best to leave plenty of time to get to campus. My commute is 45 minutes, and since I'm from out in the country, I get stuck behind tractors a lot. I leave double the time just in case. You may think that’s too early, but I find I can get a reading done in the morning if I get to class early. The stress of worrying if you are going to be late to class is NOT worth sleeping in for.

Living off campus is not easy. It takes a lot of organization, but it definitely has its upsides. I love being able to see my family and the ability to go wherever I please. I love having my own room and getting to see my boyfriend on weekends. All of this would not be possible if I lived in residence.

I hope this helps you out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...