Friday, July 19, 2013

I'm A Geek?

My mother pointed it out recently when she asked me "Sarah, what are you doing tonight?" and I replied with "Well, A new minecraft update just came out, so I'm probably going to spend my evening playing that." and she said "Wow, my daughter is a geek. Where did I go wrong?"

Then at work the next day I thought to myself, hmm, what does being a geek actually mean? So I googled it. And here is what I found:








geek  /gēk/

Noun
  1. An unfashionable or socially inept person.
  2. A person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest: "a computer geek".
Ouch. I happen to think I'm pretty great. I wouldn't classify myself as a geek, maybe more of a nerd. Hmm. Let's google nerd:

nerd  /nərd/

Noun
  1. A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: "one of those nerds who never asked a girl to dance".
  2. An intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession

Wow, neither of those definitions sound to great. I think I might actually go with the geek definition, but the second option. A person with eccentric devotion to a particular interest "A Computer Geek". And now, I present to you, some of the things that make me a geek:

I watch videos like this for fun and to improve my minecraft house.

 I solve rubik's cubes for fun, and I have many various rubik's cube things. My camp name is Rubik's and rubik's cubes are definitely high on my list of things that are the best.


Speaking of things that are the best, Star Trek is pretty amazing. I used to watch it with my parents and I really like it. I'm hoping to one day watch all of The Next Generation series. That would be fun.


I also really enjoy coding things, make sense right? You know since my major in university is Software Engineering. I better like it. Depending on the assignment at school I can get really excited about it. For my first assignment this semester I had to create a program that would solve mazes for me. It turned out awesome! I was so interested in it all! It made the assignment much more fun to do. Anyways, the fact that I get this excited about coding things for school work makes me even more of a geek.

I'm also in school for a Bachelor of Computing with a major in Software Engineering and a minor in Geography, that just screams Geek Alert.

I work for a software company, and I really enjoy it!

So these are some of the things that make me a computer geek. But I'd like to think that I'm a geek in other ways too. Such as:

A sewing geek. I love sewing so much, I am so proud of myself when I finish a project. I love when people tell me "Your skirt is really nice" and I get to reply with "Thanks, I made it!" it makes my day.

I am also a photography geek. I love capturing moments in my life so that I can look back on them. I also love improving my pictures as I go.

I'm a TV show geek. I can get so hooked on a TV show. I love following the characters lives. I get kind of sad when the show ends. Maybe I'll have to write about some of my favourite TV shows in another blog post.

And Finally:

I'm a Geek for God. Or at least I'm trying to be. This is something that I want to constantly be working towards becoming more of a geek in. If that makes any sense at all. I love God and I want to follow Him with every part of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...